Marriage Resources

Thanks to a positive ruling from the U.S. Supreme Court regarding same-sex marriage in the United States, we've put together a list of some of the places you may want to notify of your new married status:

  • Inform the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and the Social Security Administration (SSA) of your new marital status, including your new name(s) if they're changing.
  • Update your health insurance forms (if you want to add your spouse to your policy).
  • Update your bank accounts, life insurance, estate planning documents (e.g. living will, powers of attorney, wills or trusts, etc.), and retirement plans (IRAs, 401(k)s, etc.) to add your spouse as a beneficiary.
  • Inform your motor vehicle administration if you've changed your name(s) and need new state-issued IDs, and you may want to inform your auto insurer as well - we've learned that some couples have received significant discounts on their car insurance because of their new married status.
  • If you own property, you might also want to update the deed to reflect both of your names.

Legal Resources 

Financial Resources